- Q: What is a hackerspace?
- A: A hackerspace is a community-oriented physical space, where people can meet and work on their projects. They are also sometimes referred to as “makerspaces”, “hacklabs”, or “creative spaces.”
- Q: But isn’t a hacker someone who commits crimes on the Internet and other computer systems?
- A: One of the original uses of the word “hacker” was to describe a hobbyist was knowledgeable about computer systems and made their own extensive customizations to hardware/software to produce something new and unique. Unfortunately the media took the word in a different direction. Don’t worry, the folks at Mojave Makers are the friendly type.
- Q: Where can I go to learn about the global hackerspace movement?
- A: Visit http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces for more information.